Feed me all day long - Sew Fearless Pajama Eaters

11.26.2013

I've got a couple new mouths to feed. I don't mind because they're so darn cute.
It is a bit of a feeding frenzy when they get their paws on some PJ's.  Good thing their teeth are felty.
While PJ's are their favorite food they like eating other things too.
Thread
Candy
Froggie....don't worry I forbade this and gave froggie a tiny can of mace.
Actually the royal blue one is the only trouble maker, maybe he needs a felt muzzle.
"I'm just hungry....feeeeeeeeeeed meeee."

Pattern
Pajama Eaters from the Sewfearless blog.

Fabrics used
For the main body - Robert Kaufman 21 wale corduroy from Fabric.com
For the mouth/inside lining - Kona cotton solids also from Fabric.com.
Eyes/teeth - Felt from JoAnn Fabrics
All soles were scrap cottons I had in the stash.

Pattern changes/alterations
I only made one alteration, the addition of a thread tack at the corners of the body for an ear flap.  I made mine 1" away from the edge and hid the thread in the seam for the body.  If you'd like to do this too then make them right before stuffing the body.

Confessions/Advice
The majority of this pattern is easy peasy sewing, but attaching the soles to the legs can be bit tricky. Mostly because you're sewing a straight edge to something with curved edges.  Here's my method for doing them.
1. Mark the center of the soles on the short ends with a pin.
image
2. Sew the leg together and then mark the center of the tube with a pin.
image
3. Line up the pins on the soles with the pin/seam on the leg tube.
image
4. Clip the leg tube in the areas it will be curving around the sole's curved edges.  Pin in place.
image
5. Attach as many more pins and you'd like and start sewing. I usually started at the leg seam.
image
6. Even with the clipping on the leg tube you will get a bit of a pleat right in the center of the curve. You should be able to massage it out with your finger when the presser foot is raised.
image
7. When you're done you should have a nice pleat free leg.
image
Husband Comment
"Did you sew this?   This is the best thing you've ever made."

My Final Thoughts
I had a lot of fun making this pattern and not just because I was posing monsters and taking amusing pictures. (See my instagram feed if you missed them)  The construction steps were very well documented and are also formatted like a comic. Squee!
image
The finished PJ eater is not only cute as a button, but excellently constructed too. Plus the added bonus of working with fun bright colors and maybe using up some scraps.  Or be like me and buy up a bunch of corduroy colors only to have you kid tell you he wants a green one.  What? You've never expressed a color preference before child.  OK fine, the red one was supposed to be mine....but then I've gotten a little attached to this feisty royal blue one.
image
"Nom, Nom, Nom. Pants patterns are delicious."

24 comments:

  1. Love love love them! And I love eating thread too, nothing quite like it to fill an empty stomach...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny and these little creatures are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love these! I am waiting to see if the fabric will be on sale this weekend. Then I'm making them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lolol - I think the second picture of all of them chowing down on pjs on your couch is my favorite! I enjoyed your photos so much on IG! And so glad Frog has some self-defense against them, hehe.


    I love that you gave them ears! I didn't realize they were corduroy (I guess the IG photos were just too small for me to see the ribs on my phone) - great fabric choice. I need to find an excuse to make some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have really brought these little critters to life. Very entertaining and great sewing too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just the cutest wee things. I've loved following their mutation on IG. How fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh... i can't even... those are the cutest things ever. i'll have to remember this pattern! i recently made a teddy bear and the whole thing was shockingly difficult with the joins and the curves, but so much fun! i'm sure these gifts will be well-loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are adorable - and the pictures of their naughtiness are priceless! I definitely have to get on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! Now I want to make some. My Christmas sewing list is suddenly getting very long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are super adorable! Fabulous job! Love all the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll miss those crazy monsters too. But no more monsters for now. I told the boy that he doesn't even know his color names yet and so he'll have to deal with what I made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're just like children, so innocent looking but capable of mass destruction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They turned out even cuter than expected. I'll be sad when two of them go to their new home. Hug me fangy monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heee hee hee hee! "Nom, tasty thread," says the monster If only I was so easy to please in the food department.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ;) It's all the monsters, I swear! Ok maybe they had a bit of "help."

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to see your PJ monsters Laura. It will be like sewing vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I stole the ear idea from my orange corduroy monster. Was too cute and easy not to copy. :) You should make one for yourself so that you can feed them PJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Jean, they were a lot of fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The monsters are glad you liked their antics.....they also wonder if you have any PJ's to eat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooooo Teddy bears! I've never tried that but it sounds like a cool project to take on.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I demand you stalk me on Instagram! Maybe I just want to stalk you. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Christmas sewing lists do have a tendency to grow. There are too many great gifts out there to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Em, they do like posing for photos of their antics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. My fabric arrived yesterday, but now I have two secret sewing projects with deadlines and a baby shower gift to complete. I hope I can get these done before Christmas! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs